In a horrific tragedy, ten newborn babies died after a fire broke out at the neo-natal care ward of the district general hospital at Bhandara in eastern Maharashtra in the early hours of Saturday. The staff managed to rescue seven of the 17 babies in the ward. While the cause was suspected to be a short circuit or a malfunctioning air-conditioning unit and the state government ordered a probe by fire experts, a BJP leader alleged that there were complaints about power fluctuations in the ward but no action was taken. Health Minister Rajesh Tope said a six-member committee headed by a director, Health, Sadhana Tayade will conduct an inquiry and submit a report in three days. Those responsible shall not be spared, chief minister Uddhav Thackeray said. A fire audit of all the hospitals in the state has been ordered, he informed. Calling the incident “heart-wrenching and mind-numbing”, Thackeray announced an aid of Rs 5 lakh for family members of deceased babies.
Connect with Hindustan Times
Press the bell icon on YouTube for all the latest updates from Hindustan Times
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/hindustantimes
Tweet us on Twitter: twitter.com/httweets
Source : Hindustan Times
Disclaimer: This NEWS post has been auto-published from an media agency feed without any modifications to the text. It has not been reviewed by an editor.